(For the overall course timetable – arrival and departure times, etc – please see the Domestic Arrangements page.)
All course members receive a full timetable for their chosen group. Except for Friday, the general layout of the timetable is as follows. Please note that there are some minor variations from group-to-group around break times
- Breakfast 08.00
- First session 09.00-10.30
- Coffee 10.30-11.10
- Second session 11.10-12.40
- Lunch 13.00
- Optional session or free time 14.15
- Tea 15.30
- Third session 16.00-17.30
- Dinner 18.15
- Evening Events 19.45
One of the unique strengths of the NLMS Summer School is the high ratio of tutors to members. Typically, one of the daily sessions is a “sectional” rehearsal:
- Each string section in both orchestras, from first violins through to double basses, has a daily session with the professional who leads that section
- Each section in the choir, from sopranos to basses, has a dedicated tutor
- Wind and brass each have an overall coach who is present all week, with specialist instrument tutors for each instrument visiting for three days during the course.
Various one-off activities are organised in the optional and evening sessions, giving opportunities to take part in something a little different. These are the groups which take place and are open to any member of the summer school.
- OPEN CHOIR AND OTHER CHORAL SESSIONS
- OPEN STRING ORCHESTRA AND OPEN WIND BAND
- OPEN “LIGHT MUSIC” ORCHESTRA
- MEMBERS’ CONCERT: preferably for ensembles formed during the week
The above, together with the staff concert, are amongst the highlights of the week for many members.